The best meal for a special occasion or family dinner is my recipe for chuck roast in the oven. It takes only 15 minutes to prepare and cooks slowly in the oven using only one pot. You’ll want to prepare this simple pot roast for your family again and again because it is complete with potatoes and carrots and is fall-apart tender.
Ideally, it would be best to cook the roast low and slow. This has advantages over cooking the meat as quickly as it can be cooked. By cooking it at a lower temperature, the juices within the meat are retained, and your final result will be more tender and juicy.
How Do You Cook a Roast in the Oven?
Don’t be intimidated by oven roast. There are only a few simple techniques to get the buttery, melt-in-your-mouth roast beef you love:
- Bring the meat to room temperature. Before roasting, remove it from the fridge and give it a little time to relax. This will help create a tender roast beef.
- Start with the right pan or pot. The best option is a Dutch oven or a heavy-duty roasting pan (as an Amazon Associate, we get paid when qualified purchases are made). It must be capable of going from a stovetop to an oven.
- Your roast should be seared on all sides in hot oil to create a nice brown crust. This step will guarantee that all of those delicious juices are sealed in and give the product a stunning color.
- Keep these two words in mind for tantalizing, fall-apart meat: LOW and SLOW. Even tougher meats will become tender and your family will go crazy for them if you simmer it at a lower heat for a longer period of time.
- Make sure your meat never roasts dry. For maximum juicy tenderness, keep it covered in its natural juices and beef broth.
How Long Does it Take to Cook a Roast Beef in the Oven?
For a three pound roast, aim to keep the meat tightly sealed in the oven for at least three hours (remember: low and slooooow). Then, on top of that, add an additional hour per additional pound.
But, even better than watching a clock is using a meat thermometer. Oven roast is ready when it’s 160-165 degrees inside for a well done roast, or when it easily pulls apart with a fork. For medium-rare, internal temperature should reach 125-130 degrees. For medium, internal temp should reach 140-150 degrees.
Which Roast Beef Cut is Best for an Oven Roast?
It can be challenging to select a meat cut, but it doesn’t have to be. Most cuts of beef can be roasted to tender perfection using the low and slow technique. However, these are some alternatives to consider at the supermarket:
- Rump Roast
- Chuck Roast or Shoulder Pot Roast
- Rib Roast
- Ribeye Roast
- Tenderloin Roast
- Top Sirloin Roast or Steak
- Tri-Tip Roast (try this Rosemary Tri-Tip Roast!)
- Round Tip Roast
- Bottom Round Roast
- Top Round Roast
- Eye of Round Roast
Optional Roast Beef Cooking Methods
Sundays in my childhood simply weren’t Sundays without the aroma of savory roast filling the house. However, on occasion during the summer, our mother balked at using the oven to heat the house. With the popularity of the Instant Pot, a homemade roast can be served in a fraction of the time, saving time during those hot months thanks to this delicious slow cooker roast beef. For a fast and simple roast dinner, try our Instant Pot Sunday Pot Roast.
More Flavors and Add-Ins
Here are some additional common additions to try if you’re looking for more flavors and ingredients:
- Red wine: To give the broth a richer, deeper flavor, add a splash of red wine.
- Garlic: Adding a clove or two or seven to your roast is never a bad idea. With your roast and vegetables, either mash the cooked garlic into the mashed potatoes or serve it whole.
- Prior to roasting the roast beef, add some quartered potatoes and thick-cut carrots to the roasting pan to create a complete meal.
- Pepper: Add some extra black pepper for a little kick.
- You can sprinkle a delicious herb mixture made up of a teaspoon each of parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme on top for a more earthy flavor.
How to Make Beef Gravy from Beef Drippings
The show-stopping topping, gravy, is not to be overlooked. Those delicious pan drippings produce the richest, creamiest gravy you’ve ever tasted. It tastes great over roast, mashed potatoes, vegetables, rice, and pretty much anything else. Use our straightforward advice on How to Make the Best Beef Gravy. It’s easy, fool-proof, and oh so yummy.
What To Serve With Oven Roast Beef
We definitely have our go-to favorite side dishes for a family-style roast beef dinner. What we like to serve with our roast dinners is as follows:
To make roast beef sandwiches, French dip sandwiches, beef stew, and our mother’s shredded Mexican beef, we adore shredding leftover roast beef. Although it may sound strange, the filling for Mexican dishes like enchiladas, burritos, taquitos, and shredded beef tacos is actually made with this ingredient. The possibilities are endless if you simply shred up the leftovers and add some salsa!
The BEST Oven Roast Beef
- 3 pounds of rump roast (for other meat options, see the notes above)
- ▢ kosher salt to taste
- ▢ 2 tablespoons butter
- ▢ 1 (2-ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- ▢ 1 cup beef broth (or beef stock)
- Take the roast out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 30 to 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Remove extra fat from the roast, then generously season it with Kosher salt on all sides.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven or roasting pan over high heat. Place the roast in the pan and sear for about a minute on each side. You want the roast to be brown all over.
- The roast should be covered with onion soup mix, and the roasting pan should be filled with beef broth.
- When the beef is fall-apart tender, roast it in the oven covered for 3 hours (plus 40–60 minutes for every additional pound).
- Before carving, let the roast beef rest for 10-15 minutes while it is still covered or wrapped in foil. While the roast rests, make gravy (optional, see notes above). Use a sharp knife to cut into slices and serve! .
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.
EASY OVEN COOKED Tender Beef Roast
How to make beef more tender in oven?
Meat to room temperature. 5 oven cooking tips for juicy, tender meat. There are different opinions about cooking meat at room temperature. Preheat the oven. Different oven temperatures for different meat cuts and weights. Sear the meat before cooking it in the oven. Do not cut your meat right away.
How do you cook a roast beef in the oven without drying it out?
Keep a roast in the oven uncovered until it reaches the desired degree of doneness. Tent with foil and let stand for 15 minutes after removing from the oven before carving. By allowing the juices to redistribute, you can prevent the meat from being dry and disappointing by stopping the juices from draining out during carving.
Does roast get more tender the longer you cook it in oven?
The key to a fantastic beef chuck roast recipe is to allow it to cook for a sufficient amount of time, as chuck roast does become more tender as it cooks. I cook my chuck roast in the same pot for 4 hours and 20 minutes, and when it’s finished, it’s fall-apart tender with soft carrots and potatoes.
At what temperature is beef roast tender?
(Larger cuts may require higher heat and longer cooking times. ) When the roast reaches the desired doneness (145°F for medium-rare, 160°F for medium, or 170°F for well done), remove it from the oven.