Ingredients for Italian Beef Sandwiches
In your grocery store’s meat department, look for roasts. Be sure to get a chuck roast. They are the queen of roasts. The zesty, tangy pepperoncini and the dressing mix combine for a flavor you have to try. You and your family will LOVE this slow cooker recipe!.
- Chuck Roast: 3-4 pounds.
- Sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper to taste.
- Oil: Canola or another high smoke oil.
- Beef consommé: Beef broth will work here too.
- Dry Italian Salad Dressing: Intensifies the flavoring.
- Garlic Powder: Everything’s better with garlic.
- Italian Seasoning: The perfect combination of spices for this roast.
- Jar Sliced Pepperoncini: It is best to drain the pepperoncini.
- Butter: Creates a deep richness to the roast.
- Hoagie Rolls: Any type of bun will do.
- Provolone Cheese: Sliced.
How to Cook Italian Beef in a Slow Cooker
The only labor-intensive step in this recipe for Italian beef is searing the roast. Then, add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and watch the magic happen. The roast can be taken out and shredded before being returned to the juices to flavor up the dish even more.
- Roast: Salt and pepper the beef roast.
- Canola oil is heated in a big skillet over high heat for searing. The roast should be added and seared for two to three minutes on each side, or until a golden crust forms. Place the roast in a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Add the beef consommé, garlic powder, Italian dressing, Italian seasoning, and pepperoncini to the slow cooker. Top roast with butter slices.
- Cook: Preparation time is 8–10 hours on low or 5–6 hours on high. Shred the roast with a fork.
- Sandwiches: Put the food on hoagies and top with provolone and more pepperoncini, if you like.
Slow Cooker Tips and Variations
Slow cooker recipes are super easy to make. You can go about your day knowing that dinner is practically ready after just a little bit of effort to put it all together and then you get to leave it alone for hours. It’s such a satisfying feeling.
- Sear: Searing meat is a must for slow cooking roasts. It browns the proteins and caramelizes the meat’s natural sugars. It gives the meat this amazing brown crust, which enhances the flavor.
- Italian beef should be shredded for the best flavor, then put it back in the slow cooker with the savory juices. For the flavor to really permeate the crevices and nooks, let it heat for another 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, remove the beef from the slow cooker using a slotted spoon to prevent soggy hoagies.
- Hoagie buns should be lightly toasted for maximum flavor and to prevent them from becoming soggy. Place on a cookie sheet and broil till desired doneness.
- Provolone cheese, which has a mild flavor and melts beautifully, pairs perfectly with Italian beef. But for a little spice, you can add cheddar, mozzarella, colby jack, or even pepper jack.
- For additional flavor and variety, top it with more cheese, pepperoncini, roasted red peppers, or sautéed onions.
- Different ways to serve it: You don’t need to serve the slow cooker Italian beef on a bun because it’s delicious all by itself. Serve it on top of rice or mashed potatoes. Add it to pasta dishes like these garlic mushroom noodles or mac and cheese.
What Kind of Roast Should I Use
There are many roasts available, and if you are unfamiliar with them, it can be confusing.
- Use any type of roast for this recipe in the slow cooker, including top round, bottom round, shoulder, or chuck roast. But the boneless chuck roast is the roast that cooks the fastest. Just like in this Melt in Your Mouth Pot Roast, the marbling aids in the breakdown of the meat fibers into that renowned melt-in-your-mouth texture.
- What if my roast isn’t tender? Your roast needs more cooking time if it isn’t falling apart when you stab it with a fork. There are variations among slow cookers, and no two roasts are the same size. To reach the ideal sweet spot, your roast may need to cook for up to an additional two hours. Your Italian beef may only need 30 minutes too. Just check it and be a bit patient. It’ll be worth it I promise.
Storing and Reheating Italian Beef
One of the best methods for cooking obscenely delicious meals is still unquestionably using a slow cooker. Slow cooker Italian beef is wonderful because it improves over time. As it sits, the flavors continue to meld more and more. It’s so yummy!.
- Keep any leftover Italian beef in its juices when storing it. Drain what you don’t need, but leave some behind. Store in a covered container for up to 4-5 days.
- Freezing: Place the beef in a heavy-duty freezer bag that can be sealed, along with some of its juices. Squeeze out any extra air to prevent freezer burn. Keep for up to 3 months.
- Reheat: You can reheat thawed meat in the slow cooker, on the stove, or even in the microwave.
More Slow Cooker Sandwich Recipes to Try
As I’ve previously stated, one of the best cooking methods is using a slow cooker. It enables the meat to absorb all the flavors and become tender enough to melt in your mouth. Slow cooker sandwiches are juicy, flavorful and fabulous!.
Slow Cooker Italian Beef
- ▢ 3-4 pounds beef chuck roast
- ▢ salt and pepper
- ▢ 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ▢ 2 cups beef consommé or Beef broth
- ▢ 1 package dry Italian salad dressing
- ▢ 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ▢ 1 Tablespoon italian seasoning
- ▢ 12 oz jar sliced pepperoncini drained
- ▢ 1/4 cup butter sliced
- ▢ 4 hoagie rolls
- ▢ 8 slices provolone cheese
- Salt and pepper the beef roast. Canola oil is heated in a large skillet over high heat. The roast should be added and seared for two to three minutes on each side, or until a golden crust forms. Place the roast in a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Italian seasoning, garlic powder, pepperoncini, and beef consommé are added to the slow cooker. Top roast with butter slices.
- Cook on low for eight to ten hours or high for five to six. Shred the roast with a fork. Serve with provolone cheese and extra pepperoncinis, if desired, on hoagies.
All dietary data are estimates based on calculations made by third parties. The nutritional value of each recipe will vary depending on the brands, measuring techniques, and household portion sizes that you use.
CHICAGO STYLE ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH (Made By Man From Chicago)
What cut of beef is Italian beef?
Chuck roast, the meat used for pot roast, is slowly cooked with savory Italian seasonings to produce Italian beef, which is soft and tender and can be easily shredded with a fork. This shredded meat is placed inside soft hoagie rolls to make the famous sandwich, which is then topped with sliced provolone and pickled peppers.
What makes an Italian beef?
Italian beef is made with sirloin rear or top/bottom round cuts of beef that are wet-roasted in a broth with garlic, oregano, and spices until thoroughly cooked. The meat is roasted at %E2%89%A4 350 %C2%B0F (177 %C2%B0C); this results in up to a 45% reduction in weight, but also yields the sandwichs famous jus or gravy
What is the best cut of meat for beef sandwiches?
A top loin roast is ideal. It has a lot of brawny flavor, and all of the fat is on the surface, where it is simple to trim after the meat has been cooked. To ensure rare, juicy meat, the beef is roasting here over a low heat. Having said that, use a bottom, top, or eye round cut here if you prefer a more affordable option.
Is Italian beef roast beef?
Italian beef is made tender by using thinly sliced roast beef from a reputable butcher, which eliminates the difficulty of slicing at home. Beef bones and stew meat slices are roasted until well-browned and then simmered for hours to create an extra beefy jus.