Smoked Beef Ribs RecipeEverything is big in Texas! Or at least that saying holds true when we’re talking about smoked Beef Ribs.These ribs were made famous in bbq joints of Central Texas. There pitmasters slow smoke these goliaths over post oak wood for long hours until the meat is soft as butter. One succulent bone will set you back nearly $30 bucks, but I promise you it’s worth every penny. This week I’m going to share with you how to duplicate these Dino Bones right in your own backyard.First thing you need to know is exactly what is a “Dino Beef Rib”. These ribs come from the Short Plate section of a cow’s rib cage and they’re typically found cut into smaller portions and sold as beef short ribs.I spent a good deal of time searching on the internet, then calling local butchers trying to explain what I was looking for in detail. Often this lead me nowhere until I finally figured out how to convey what I wanted. It will save you a lot of time if you first go in the store and see if they have short ribs in the meat department. They’re usually cut into 2-3” pieces with meat on top the bone.When you see these, go track down the butcher and tell him you want to buy some short ribs before he cuts them down into smaller sections. The beef plate ribs I bought came in a cryovac package containing 2 slabs of 3 bone plate ribs. I’m not gonna lie they’re a bit pricey at $99lb but oh so worth it.
Smoked Beef Rib Recipe
- 3 bone section Beef Plate Ribs
- 2 Tablespoons Killer Hogs The AP Rub
- 1 Tablespoon Killer Hogs The Hot Rub
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- Prepare a smoker or grill with lump or briquette charcoal for indirect cooking. Temperature should be between 275-300⁰.
- Remove Beef Plate Ribs from cryovac packaging. On the ribs’ meat side, remove any extra sinew or fat. Rinse under cool water and dry with paper towel.
- The ribs are first seasoned with AP rub (equal parts salt).
- Hickory chunks, 2 to 3
- Place the beef ribs on the grilling rack and maintain a constant cooking temperature of 275 to 3000.
- Wrap the ribs in heavy-duty aluminum foil after three hours of smoking. Before sealing the foil tightly around the ribs, add beef broth.
- Return the ribs to the smoker and cook until they reach a temperature of 2040 and a probe inserted into one of them encounters very little resistance.
- After removing the ribs from the smoker, let them rest for at least an hour in a dry cooler.
- Cut the ribs into 1 bone sections and serve
Have a Question About This Recipe?
Join our HowToBBQRight Facebook group to get recipe assistance, share your photos, enter giveaways, and more!
Smoked Beef Ribs Recipe | How To Smoke Beef Ribs with Malcom Reed HowToBBQRight
Do I need to boil beef ribs before grilling?
Ribs should be boiled before cooking for a very straightforward reason. The ribs become more juicy and tender thanks to this process. Not only does it significantly reduce cooking time, but it also makes the meat much easier to chew.
How long to grill beef ribs at 350?
If grilling spare ribs quickly, set the temperature to medium for 2 to 3 hours at 350 degrees.
What temperature are BBQ beef ribs done?
You can detect the ideal doneness temperature by inserting a thermometer probe into the thickest part of the meat between two ribs and setting the high temperature alarm to 205°F (96°C).