A low-and-slow cooking technique called braising uses dry heat at first and moist heat at the end. Using a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, sear beef at high temperatures to create a caramelized crust (dry heat), then cover and continue cooking in liquid at lower temperatures (moist heat).
Learn how to braise beef and how to make the ideal pot roast, from searing to adding vegetables to simmering low and slow for hours. For stovetop or slow cooker braising, pick your preferred cuts of Certified Angus Beef® brand meat.
Beef 101: Braising Braising is a combination of cooking techniques that makes use of both moist and dry heat. Read more >.
Create and experiment with beef shank Some people have started using beef navel, which is the ruminant equivalent of pork belly. Others are looking into specialty cuts from the chuck and round or dry-aging. Read more >.
This recipe for braised chuck roast with roasted red pepper sauce is excellent when prepared using the low-and-slow cooking technique. Read more >.
How to make braised beef
- The beef chunks are browned in a skillet with hot olive oil. After that, remove from the pot and continue to cook the chopped onion in the same skillet.
- Add the browned beef chunks, sautéed onion, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and crushed garlic to a dutch oven pot.
- Place the pot on your cooktop, add the red wine and water, cover with a lid, and bring to a boil. After that, place in the oven and bake for 1.5 hours at 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
Ingredients for braised beef:
- Beef chuck pot roast (boneless)
- olive oil
- black pepper
- garlic cloves
- red wine
What is Braised Beef
When a beef roast is prepared using this technique, it is called braised beef.
- Pot roasting, also referred to as braising, is the process of slowly cooking meat in a covered pot with liquid. Such as broth or wine. This process typically takes several hours.
Slow cooker braised beef
If you want to prepare this braised beef in red wine ahead of time and set it aside, it is simple to adapt the recipe to work in a slow cooker.
- The beef, onion, garlic, and spices should be added to your slow cooker after the beef chunks have been browned and the onion has been sauteed.
- Red wine and water are then added, and the dish is covered and cooked for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
Instant pot braised beef
This can also be prepared quickly in an instant pot, just like braised beef in a slow cooker!
place the browned beef chunks, sauteed onion, spices, pressed garlic, water, and red wine into the instant pot and cook and pressure cook on high for 40 minutes. For more instant pot beef recipes be sure to check out this instant pot beef stew!
What to serve with braised beef
- mashed potatoes
- pappardelle, which is a large wide pasta
- any other kind of pasta
- wild, brown, or white rice
- a simple green salad as a low carb option
- ▢ 3- 3 1/2 lb Beef chuck pot roast boneless
- ▢ 6 tbsp olive oil
- ▢ 1 tsp cumin divide
- ▢ 1 tsp paprika divide
- ▢ 2 tsp salt divide
- ▢ 1 tsp black pepper divide
- ▢ 1 large onion divided
- ▢ 2 garlic cloves divide
- ▢ 3/4 cup red wine
- ▢ 1/4 cup water
- Cut the beef into large chunks.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over high heat. Brown the beef chunks. Then remove them and set aside.
- The onions should be fully cooked (or translucent) in the same skillet.
- Start by layering the ingredients in a Dutch oven pot in the following order: half of the browned beef chunks, 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper, followed by half of the sautéed onion and half of the crushed garlic.
- Repeat step 4 with the remaining beef chunks.
- Place the lid on top of the meat after adding the red wine and water. Bring the pot to a boil on the cooktop by placing it there. Place the pot in the oven and bake it at 360 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Cook until the meat is fully cooked through.