A quick stir-fry dinner that you can prepare in a matter of minutes with thinly sliced shaved beef and a sauce that rivals any takeout order is ideal.
You probably have at least once in your life ordered beef and broccoli in a stir fry from a Chinese restaurant.
But this recipe for shaved beef elevates the pairing to a whole new level. If you enjoy Mongolian beef (either the version served in mall food courts or P F. Chang’s famous dish), you will love this meal.
It has that coveted stir fry sauce that coats every ingredient with its sweet and salty decadence, making it healthier than takeout.
The reason for using shaved beef is that it is the ideal cut of meat for frying in a skillet and producing those irresistible crispy edges.
When compared to cubed steak, which is what this recipe for steak, potatoes, and pepper uses, it cooks incredibly quickly, making it perfect for quick weeknight meals.
A simple recipe for shaved beef, broccoli, and a delicious stir-fry sauce that can be prepared quickly and easily.
What’s the difference between a Philly Cheesesteak and a Cheesesteak?
I’m a Colorado native who grew up on the west coast, so while I have visited Philadelphia, I haven’t had many Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches. I had to do a little digging, which is to say, I had to browse the internet.
- Thinly sliced, sautéed ribeye steak is nestled in a long, crusty Italian roll along with gooey, melted cheese. It’s heavy. It’s simple. And ooooh, boy, is it savory. The preferred cheese for authentic Philly Cheesesteaks is Cheez Whiz, though American and Provolone are frequently substituted. (Source).
- Cheesesteak | Accordingly, anything that modifies the dish, be it cheese, additions, or seasonings, turns it into a simple (yet still delectable and savory) steak sandwich recipe.
- Several Philadelphians have corrected me, saying that all respectable Philadelphians order their Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches with Cheez Whiz. We order them as “wiz wit,” which is Philadelphian for wiz and fried onions on the sandwich.
In light of the fact that this recipe is not authentic, I will simply refer to it as the BEST Cheesesteak recipe.
I’ve been making this homemade Philly cheesesteak recipe on repeat for years, the original recipe is from my dear, creative friend, Norine from Norine’s Nest, who by the way you should follow, because not only is she a fabulous cook, but she’s sooo funny!
It’s a huge hit in our home, and my family knows that dinner will be delicious when they see the shaved beef thawing.
What Goes on a Traditional Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich?
- Shaved ribeye steak
- Tourists prefer Cheez Whiz, but provolone is also a welcome alternative to the white American cheese that they request.
- Salt and pepper, pan juices
- With and without sautéd onions
Key Ingredients for Best Cheesesteak Recipe
- Beef | Round steak, cubes, or thinly sliced flank or skirt steak, as well as shaved beef, will all work.
- Butter: Don’t discount it; it’s a flavor powerhouse!
- You must use these drool-worthy caramelized onions in your favorite cheesesteak recipe.
- Seasoning salt | Adds complex flavor, easily!
- Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins is Gluten free)
- Serve with hot sauce, at the very least, but feel free to omit it.
- Cheese | (there are three members of our family who don’t like cheese: Pepper Jack, Provolone, and I.)
- Sub roll toasting | Toasting your rolls is a must!
What Cut of Meat is the Best for Cheesesteak
When I first made this, I couldn’t find the cube steak that Norine uses, so I used round steak and sliced it as thinly as I could. But since then, I’ve found Trader Joe’s shaved beef, which is tender, delicious, and paper thin.
PRO TIP |If using cube or round steak, roll, wrap, and freeze for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing very thinly and attempting to “chip” away at the steak.
How to Make a Steak and Cheese Sandwich
- Slice onion in half, then slice thinly
- This is my favorite pan, so preheat a sizable pan over medium heat.
- Pop in butter, melt until bubbly
- Toss in onions and saute until soft and caramel colored
- Meanwhile, season shaved beef with seasoning salt
- Remove onions once caramelized to plate
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and add one or two more pats of butter.
- If it’s not possible, add the beef in a single layer in batches. The beef needs only a quick saute to brown, as it is thin enough to cook very quickly. Turn after a minute or two.
- Returning the onions to the pan after the meat has browned, stir in the Worcestershire sauce and, if desired, the hot sauce.
- Layer cheese over meat, cover with lid to melt.
- If desired, toast rolls on a griddle with a little butter; really, though, you should do this step—this isn’t diet food!
- Serve over browned hoagie or sub rolls; I’ve also used whole wheat to fool myself into thinking it was a little healthier. Can’t blame a girl for trying!.
Can I Make ahead of time
Yes, you should serve this dish at a party, on game day, or while tailgating.
Make ahead as directed above; place in slow cooker and keep on the warm setting or covered in an oven set to 150-200 degrees. Serve with toasted sub or hoagie or slider rolls.
Philly Steak Sandwich Add-Ins
- When caramelizing onions, add thinly sliced red, green, yellow, or orange peppers and cook until soft and lightly browned.
- Saute sliced mushrooms
- Norine’s fave is to serve with Lighthouse Cotija Cilantro dressing
- Ranch dressing
- Garlic Aioli
- We consume ours “naked,” as it were, because it is so juicy, flavorful, filling, and savory!
What’s the Difference between a Hoagie and a Sub Sandwich?
The difference here is that a Hoagie stuffs the harder, firmer roll with meat, cheese, etc. rather than slicing it through completely. Unlike a sub sandwich, which is typically a soft roll that has been completely cut through,
Then there are grinders, poor boys, and heroes. Having been born and raised on the west coast, I was not familiar with any of these terms when I first encountered them while traveling to the east coast and the south.
What I do know is that they are all delectable and are all sandwiches in some way, so why let semantics stand in the way of a delicious meal?
Here are some other cozy family favorites, and I hope these homemade Philly Cheesesteaks become a family favorite for you too!
Don’t forget to PIN to your preferred Pinterest board for 30-minute meals!
I sincerely hope you enjoyed this Best Cheesesteak Recipe; if so, would you kindly share your dish on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest?
If you enjoyed this recipe, don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below!
- ▢ 4 tablespoons butter
- ▢ 1 medium-large onion, cut into thin slices
- ▢ 1-2 tablespoons butter
- ▢ 2 teaspoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 to 3 pounds of shaved beef steak; other dishes listed in notes
- 1/2 cup [Lea’s Worcestershire sauce]
- 1 teaspoon or so [Seasoning Salt, such as Lawrys], to taste
- ▢ 1-2 tablespoons Hot Sauce, optional
- 6 to 8 slices of provolone, white cheddar, pepper jack, or, for a truly Philadelphian option, Cheese Whiz (wiz wit).
- 6 sub sandwich rolls, Italian, French, or Hoagie rolls
- ▢ 2 tablespoons butter
- ▢ bell peppers, or mushrooms, optional additions
- Sliced onions are added to a large pan that has been heated to medium heat, butter, and stirring until the onions are soft and caramelized, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from pan, set aside.
- If the steak hasn’t already been cut into slices, do so as thinly as you can (see notes) and sprinkle it lightly all over with seasoning salt.
- Increase the heat to medium-high in the same skillet, add the butter and oil, and then add the steak in as much of a single layer as you can. If it gets too crowded, cook it in a few batches. It won’t take long to cook for 1-2 minutes before flipping and cooking the other side for 1-2 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and, if desired, a few shakes of hot sauce, such as Cholula, once the beef has browned (I slightly undercook it because it will continue to cook). Stir for a minute, then add onions back to the pan with the beef and all of its delicious juices.
- The beef should be covered with the desired cheese slices, which should be melted and gooey to the point of being irresistible.
- During this time, preheat a griddle or another sizable skillet to medium-high heat. Spread a thin layer of butter on the cut side of the sub rolls, then place butter side down on the griddle and toast until golden and delicious.
- Serve cheesesteak on top of rolls and enjoy immediately.
Any nutritional advice shared by The Fresh Cooky is only an estimate because neither it nor its owners are dieticians or nutritionists. If you want to double-check any information, we advise using an online nutritional calculator with the ingredients.
How To Cook a Beef Shaved Steak | Lanie’s Cooking & More
How do you tenderize a shaved beef steak?
WHAT IS SHAVED BEEF? Shaved beef, also known as shaved steak, is simply thinly sliced beef that can be obtained from any part of the cow. Typically, however, it will be a flank or skirt steak. However, because the cut is so thin, it really doesn’t matter all that much.
What is shaved steak meat?
Pour vegetable oil into a 12-inch skillet until it is 1/8 inch deep to sear a frozen steak. Heat oil until shimmering. Carefully add frozen steaks to skillet. Cook steaks in the skillet at 275 degrees for 18 to 22 minutes, or until they reach 125 degrees for medium-rare.
How do you cook frozen beef shaved steak?
By pounding steaks with a meat mallet (or kitchen mallet), you can soften and tenderize the meat. Simply pound the meat before cooking by sandwiching it between pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper. You can also use a heavy kitchen tool, such as a skillet, saucepan, or rolling pin if you don’t have a meat mallet.