It’s a simple matter of timing. Making dinner quickly can be so much less frustrating when you know how to quickly prepare your hamburger for a recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links. I might get a small commission if you buy something after clicking a link, but it won’t cost you anything. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Frozen Ground Beef InstaPot
Due to my propensity for forgetfulness, we frequently cook frozen meat in the Instant Pot. Nothing is worse than having nothing thawed when everyone gets home around dinnertime. You all need to eat, but you’re not ready to go out. What should you do? We can help you tonight with your pressure cooker.
You can use that pot in place of others if you need simple Ninja Foodi recipes. You only need the high pressure function, which they all have, so either Crockpot Express or Mealthy will work just fine.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Now let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!.
- After that, PRINT this —-> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet to learn how long meat, vegetables, and beans need to cook in your pressure cooker. This is a fantastic InstaPot cookbook, and wooden utensils are also a great buy. I HIGHLY recommend you buy this non stick pot. Even though you should still deglaze your pressure cooker after sautéing, it will function more reliably with this improved liner.
For reference, I create all of my recipes in this pressure cooker (6 quart).
My pressure cooker is my favorite method for defrosting frozen ground beef because it preserves the meat’s juiciness and removes all the fat. It’s one of the best ways to cook frozen ground beef, and since I am forgetful, I no longer have to worry if I forgot to take it out of the freezer the day before.
Ninja Foodi frozen ground beef
- Yes, forgetfulness happens often. In this pressure cooker frozen whole chicken post, I began by outlining how to prepare frozen meat in an Instant Pot.
- This is all for “those days,” when you seem to forget everything. There are no longer any concerns because you can quickly transform a frozen block of meat from a hard block into a juicy dinner.
I make and develop new recipes using ground beef at least twice a week in the Instant Pot.
Regardless of whether I combine it with other ingredients to create Instant Pot turkey meatloaf or meatballs to serve with spaghetti, I can always find a use for a pound of ground beef.
Frozen Ground Beef Instant Pot Without Trivet
We made the big move from California to Idaho this year, and here many families purchase fresh meat from nearby farms, as did we. The garage now houses a sizable freezer that is stocked with enough meat to last us all winter.
I started cooking with beef even more recently after we bought a quarter of a cow, so I needed to figure out how to quickly cook frozen ground beef. This works for frozen ground turkey too of course.
We regularly update a list of Instant Pot beef recipes. I’ll include them and post them on my website as I try pressure-cooking other types of frozen beef.
- Frozen meatballs prepared in a pressure cooker can be simply thrown in with some sauce and they will turn out fine.
Though you should thaw out a larger piece of ground beef first before continuing to cook it on saute as you would with a pound of fresh ground beef.
How to thaw Instant Pot frozen ground beef
An Instant Pot will change your life if you are COMPLETELY new to the pressure cooking world. It took me a little while to become familiar with all the buttons, but now I use this device frequently, if not daily.
You simply use a trivet, I prefer the ones with handles because it’s a little bit simpler to lift it out once it’s finished. If you don’t already have one of these, I strongly advise doing so because it can be used for a variety of purposes. BUT I have a substitute if you don’t have one yet.
You could ball up 4 pcs. using a small plate on top and a piece of foil on the bottom, you can use that. However, it will still function, even though the fat won’t drain away like it would with a trivet. Use a pot holder to lift the plate out of the oven because it will be extremely hot. Make sure the plate is oven-safe.
Cooking frozen ground beef in a pressure cooker
With this technique, almost ALL of the grease and fat from the meat is removed. It eventually sinks to the pot’s bottom (as seen below). SO you get leaner ground beef to cook. Instant Pot frozen ground turkey works the same way.
- If you forget to thaw it out the night before, this is a great tip to have.
- As opposed to overnight, it takes only about 20 minutes to thaw ground beef.
I honestly have been doing this for quite some time. However, because it’s so simple, I disregarded the fact that I hadn’t created a post about it. Now I’m sharing this tip with all of you.
In addition to saving me a ton of time, I believe it also helps me on days when I forget things. Dinner is saved!.
Frozen Ground Turkey in Pressure Cooker
Normally, I purchase 80/20 ground beef, though turkey or chicken would also be suitable But I had no idea what those were when we bought a cow earlier this year. For the most part they are rather lean.
- However, I’ve always struggled to properly drain the fat, and in the past.
- The cooked ground beef has been poured into a strainer, and I have started the hot water to rinse it.
Now it’s done for me!!
Using this Instant Pot frozen ground beef technique, look at how the fat drains from the meat.
Now you just dump it before turning it to saute after combining it with the water you add to the bottom. Fat is gone!.
Frozen Ground Beef Instant Pot Time
Here are some quick instructions, but I also have a printable recipe card for you at the bottom.
Time needed: 15 minutes.
Frozen ground beef in Instant Pot
- Water Pour 1 c. water into your pressure cooker. In the bottom, set a trivet high enough so that the meat won’t touch the liquid.
- Add meat Put your pound (or up to 2 lbs. really) on your trivet.
- Defrost Close your lid and steam valve. Set to high pressure for 5 minutes. For a total of about 20 minutes, perform a 10-minute natural pressure release. Lift out trivet with meat on it. Drain pot.
Compared to Crockpot ground beef, it takes much less time to defrost and then cook.
Instant Pot frozen hamburger
Remove any accumulated liquid and fat in your Instant Pot.
- Re-add the thawed ground beef to the pot; there will be a thin layer of cooked, raw, and thawed meat inside.
- As you would if it were fresh ground beef, prepare the meal.
To make an Instant Pot casserole or any other type of beef dinner recipe, add taco seasoning and anything else.
Now you can quickly make our Instant Pot taco meat using a single pound of frozen, rock-hard beef by following these instructions for air-frying ground beef (thawed) and adding a seasoning packet at the end.
- Instant Pot cheeseburger macaroni is amazing
- Since only five ingredients are required, our Instant Pot chili is probably the most popular.
Choose your favorite dish using this type of protein, as I’m sure you have a few favorites.
Here are a few of our favorite ground beef recipes for the Instant Pot to try after this is finished!
- Amazing and a kid favorite, this flavorful Instant Pot taco casserole is delicious.
- Try this Instant Pot hamburger potato casserole
Make our stroganoff casserole in a pressure cooker tonight using your meat!
How to cook frozen meat in Instant Pot
Now that your meat has been thawed, you don’t necessarily need to prepare a pressure cooker recipe. There are countless things you can cook, like our crockpot lasagna casserole!
- I can teach you how to prepare frozen chicken in the Instant Pot.
- To help you understand how long each item takes to cook, here are some free printable Instant Pot cooking times sheets.
- This is how to prepare frozen shrimp in an Instant Pot as well. We love seafood so that has been helpful.
I’m working on demonstrating how to defrost meat in a slow cooker as well, and once I have it down pat, I’ll post a link.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** Please rate this recipe with 5 stars if you enjoyed it and let everyone know what you thought. .
Instant Pot Frozen Ground Beef
- 1 lb ground beef up to 2 lbs.
- 1 c water
- Pour 1 c. water into your Instant Pot and lower a trivet down.
- Place 1-2 lbs frozen ground beef on your trivet.
- Set your steam valve, lid, and steam pressure to high for 5 minutes.
- Do a natural release for 10 minutes. Lift out ground beef and drain liquid in your pot.
- Cook your thawed ground beef as you wish. To complete your recipe, cook the inside until it is thawed and raw (the outside layer will be lightly cooked).
VideoNutrition FactsInstant Pot Frozen Ground BeefAmount Per Serving (3 oz)
step one cooking ground beef in ninja foodi
Can you cook frozen beef in Ninja Foodi?
This method is incredibly simple and doesn’t require any defrosting so you can have a steak dinner on the table in no time. You can cook frozen steak in the air fryer or ninja foodi.
Can I put frozen ground beef in air fryer?
If you have hamburger patties in the freezer, you can make a juicy, crispy, and delicious air fryer burger in less than 20 minutes because air fryer burgers cook beautifully from frozen. I believe using an air fryer is the simplest and least messy way to prepare frozen hamburger patties.
Can ground beef be cooked from frozen?
Absolutely. Learn how to cook frozen beef by reading this article; it’s quicker and easier than you might imagine. On busy days, a block of frozen ground beef can reduce the time needed for dinner. Even when frozen, ground beef cooks extremely quickly and is delicious.
Can I put frozen meat in my Ninja pressure cooker?
Yes, you can cook frozen ground beef, chicken, a roast, and pork here. With just a cup of water or beef broth, you can quickly transform the texture of the meat from rock-hard to tender.