My beef tips are ridiculously tender and simple to make in your slow cooker or instant pot with mushroom gravy, as always, with NO canned soups. Over rice, egg noodles, mashed potatoes, cauliflower mash, or other grains, serve beef tips!
Before it gets to be a thousand degrees in Texas and all I want is cold food for pretty much the rest of 2019, I’m bringing on another round of homemade comfort food today.
My homemade beef tips are a family favorite. I need to put dinner on the table during the weeknights when things are moving at a hundred miles per hour without having to watch it. Therefore, I prepare some beef tips with mushroom gravy and serve them over a bed of fluffy, garlicky mashed potatoes. With each bite, the problems of the day seem to gradually fade away. Although to be fair, hubby does dinner dishes, so perhaps my happiness comes more from the fact that this recipe requires minimal prep but produces maximum flavor? Hubby is happy because it’s man-food, and I’m thrilled because there are fewer dishes.
Why We Love this Recipe
There are so many reasons to love this recipe. It is a tasty, hearty, and affordable way to feed your family. It is also simple to make. In no time, this recipe will become a favorite among the family!
The gravy is so rich and flavorful, and the meat is extra tender.
Toss in leftover veggies and serve with leftover rice, potatoes, or pasta noodles and a side of garlic bread for an easy meal! This recipe is also simple to stretch thanks to the endless additions and serving options!
BEEF TIPSTypically, the tender portions of the tenderloin top are known as beef tips. Alternatively, they could be sirloin tips from larger roasts, which are frequently marketed as “stew meat” or, in this instance, the more enticing-sounding “beef tips.” ’.
GRAVY To make this gravy, combine a cornstarch mixture with a mixture of beef broth and onion soup. Additionally, you can thicken this gravy by making a roux with flour.
How to Cook Beef Tips
These are incredibly simple to prepare and only require one pot for cleanup.
- Brown beef with oil and add onions.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer until beef is tender.
- Thicken gravy with cornstarch, add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over egg noodles, rice, or a bed of mashed potatoes. Perfection!.
These are just a few of the mouthwatering sides that go well with beef.
Beef tips with gravy make for great leftovers!
- Keep refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to reheat.
- Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop, and add a little salt and pepper to give it a flavor boost.
You can also freeze beef tips with gravy in zippered bags; just make sure to label them with the date. They should keep for about two months.
Did you like this beef advice?
Beef Tips & Gravy
- ▢ 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ▢ 1 onion chopped
- ▢ 2 pounds cubed chuck or stew meat
- ▢ 10 ½ ounces beef broth
- ▢ 10 ½ ounces French onion soup condensed
- ▢ 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ▢ 1 bay leaf
- ▢ salt & pepper to taste
- ▢ 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ▢ ⅓ cup water
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat in a big pot or Dutch oven. Beef should be salted and peppered, then browned in batches. Remove beef from the pot and set aside.
- Turn heat down to medium, add remaining oil and onion. Cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add soup, Worcestershire sauce, beef, broth, and bay leaf to the pot. When the beef is fork tender, bring to a boil, cover, and then reduce heat to simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- To thicken gravy, combine cornstarch with 1/3 cup cold water. Little by little, while stirring, pour into the beef until the desired consistency is reached.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf and serve over mashed potatoes.
The estimated nutritional information is subject to change depending on the cooking techniques and ingredient brands used.
© SpendWithPennies. com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. It is strictly against the law to copy and paste entire recipes onto any social media platform. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes? Follow us on Pinterest!
Beef Tips Recipe – How to make Super TENDER Beef Tips
How do you tenderize beef tips?
By pounding steaks with a meat mallet (or kitchen mallet), you can soften and tenderize the meat. Simply pound the meat before cooking by sandwiching it between pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper. You can also use a heavy kitchen tool, such as a skillet, saucepan, or rolling pin if you don’t have a meat mallet.
Do beef tips get more tender the longer they cook?
Beef tips, like any tough piece of meat, will benefit from a lengthy, low-temperature cooking session. The most crucial thing to remember is that food becomes more tender the longer it cooks. The meat will become incredibly tender while simmering in the beef broth.
Why are my beef tips tough?
Additionally, overcooking meat can result in tough meat, even when it comes from the more tender muscles. That’s because heat causes the meat’s proteins to become more pliable. Additionally, overcooking essentially removes the moisture from the meat, leaving it tough and dry.