A Simple Ground Beef Dinner Recipe
Lean ground beef is a versatile protein.
In moderation and when used in recipes that incorporate other significant food groups, especially vegetables (like in Ground Beef Stroganoff), it is healthy (beef is packed with protein, iron, zinc, and vitamin B12).
My simple ground beef recipes, like this taco skillet and this Korean beef bowl, are frequently influenced by international cuisines.
I never thought to cook beef with something as simple as white potatoes until I came across this easy skillet recipe because I thought the results would be unimpressive.
This assumption comes from the same girl who happily consumes a Potato Frittata for lunch three days in a row and who effortlessly consumes an entire sheet pan of these Oven Roasted Potatoes by herself.
Nice logic, Erin. (Ben, I’m sure, would be delighted to provide you with countless examples of my inconsistent actions, but let’s save that for another post.) Or never. ).
the results are anything but basic, despite the appearance of the ingredient list.
Although the “meat and potatoes” people in your life will like this ground beef and potato skillet, it’s also intriguing enough to satisfy those who want more from their meal.
We have a ground beef dinner suggestion for everyone!
Check out my Homemade Hamburger Helper, one of my all-time most popular recipes with ground beef, for another household favorite. Another hearty and traditional ground beef recipe is ground beef casserole.
How to Make Ground Beef and Potatoes
This ground beef skillet is not only guaranteed to be a hit with everyone at your dinner party, but it’s also simple to prepare and quick to clean up.
Ground beef and vegetables can be cooked together in the same skillet, reducing the number of dishes required in the end.
- Lean Ground Beef. The flavorful and scrumptious meat for this dish. Since ground beef already has enough fat to cook without sticking, I don’t usually use oil with it, but if your beef is extremely lean and your pan starts to look dry at any point, you can add a little oil to keep it from sticking.
Check out Ground Beef Dinner Ideas for more delicious recipes using ground beef.
- Potatoes. A surefire match for the ground beef is tender cubed potatoes (or mashed potatoes with ground beef, as in Shepherd’s Pie). They complement the spices in this dish beautifully and are filling and popular.
- Red Bell Pepper. Adds a touch of color, freshness, and sweetness.
- Worcestershire Sauce. Gives the dish depth and umami flavor.
- Dijon Mustard. Its tanginess pairs wonderfully with the potatoes.
- Spices. This dish is made craveable by a mixture of smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Hot Sauce. Use a lot or a little depending on your taste preferences for a delicious kick.
- Sauté the potatoes in oil.
- With the vegetables, Worcestershire, mustard, spices, and hot sauce, brown the beef.
- Cook the food until the meat is thoroughly cooked and the vegetables are soft. Add the green onions. Serve as desired and ENJOY!.
Serve a Chardonnay, Merlot, or Pinot Noir with the ground beef and potatoes.
- To Store. For up to three days, refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container.
- To Reheat. Warm up the beef and potatoes slowly over medium heat in a skillet.
- To Freeze. This dish shouldn’t be frozen because the thawed potatoes may have a mealy texture.
- I enjoy reheating leftovers as a hash and adding a fried egg on top after browning the ingredients in a skillet. Alternatively, you could make a scramble out of leftovers by substituting scrambled eggs.
- Wrapping leftovers in a whole wheat tortilla will make them into a portable meal. Make sure to warm the filling up first. (Adding some cheese to the wrap would be scrumptious. ).
What to Serve with Ground Beef and Potatoes
- Dutch Oven. One of my most-used kitchen tools.
- Hamburger Chopper. The perfect tool for breaking apart the ground beef.
- Spatula. My favorite heat-resistant spatula.
The Best Dutch Oven
You’ll enjoy preparing so many different dishes in this sturdy, high-quality Dutch oven. It’s easy to clean and will last a lifetime.
Can we be friends, meat and potatoes? I’ll never judge you again.
Ground Beef and Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Peeled and diced into 14-inch cubes, 1 pound of potatoes (I used Yukon golds)
- 1 pound 93% lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus additional to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- A further teaspoon or two of hot sauce (I used sriracha) for serving
- 2 green onions sliced
- Cooked brown rice or cauliflower rice, shredded cheddar cheese, nonfat plain Greek yogurt, or just more hot sauce!
- In a skillet big enough to fit all the ingredients, heat the oil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium once the oil is hot and shiny, then add the potatoes. About 6 minutes should be enough time to cook the potatoes while stirring frequently until they are beginning to turn golden and become tender.
- Add the beef, onion, and bell pepper. Cook, breaking apart the meat.
- Add the Worcestershire, mustard, smoked paprika, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper, and hot sauce (add more hot sauce if you prefer a spicier dish).
- About 6 to 8 minutes more of cooking and breaking up the beef will get the potatoes and onions tender and the meat fully cooked.
- Stir in the green onions. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper as desired. Serve hot with rice, Greek yogurt, cheese, or just on its own. You can also add a little extra hot sauce if you like.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to three days in an airtight container.
- REHEAT: In a skillet over medium-low heat, gently reheat the beef and potatoes. (I enjoy making a hash out of leftovers by crisping them up once more in a skillet and adding a fried egg on top. ).
- I DO NOT RECOMMEND FREEZING THIS DISH because the thawed potatoes may have a mealy texture.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to access FREE meal plans and easily save your favorite recipes.
More Ground Beef Dinner Ideas
If You have Potatoes then you NEED to Make These PAPAS RELLENAS | Stuffed Potatoes with Ground Beef
Are potatoes good with meat?
The ideal pairing of meat and potatoes is in a hearty pie or a fiery stir fry. Feast your eyes on our selection of recipes below if you love chicken or beef or if you’re just looking for inspiration. They’re ideal for meat lovers everywhere!
Do you cook onions and ground beef together?
To create a flavorful crust on the beef as it cooks, avoid overstirring. The beef can be flavored by adding onion or garlic as it browns. As soon as the ground beef is thoroughly cooked, remove it from the heat to prevent it from drying out.
How do you use a lot of ground beef?
35 Recipes Using One Package of Ground Beef (of 36) Chef John’s Shepherd Pie. View Recipe. 02 of 36. Chef John’s Stuffed Peppers. View Recipe. 03 of 36. Baked Ziti. View Recipe. 04 of 36. Homemade Chili. 05 of 36. Easy Homemade Meatballs. 06 of 36. Taco Pizza. 07 of 36. Ground Beef Stroganoff. 08 of 36. Best Beef Enchiladas.
What can be done with beef?
Beef recipesRoast beef with red wine & banana shallots. A star rating of 4. 7 out of 5. Polish patties (kotlety) A star rating of 4. 5 out of 5. Pot-roast beef with French onion gravy. Beef rissoles. Homemade Turkish lahmacun. Roast beef sirloin & béarnaise dauphinoise. Beef, leek & swede Cumberland pie. Beef stroganoff.