Depending on the seasonings—indeed, the entire recipe—the answer may change as to whether to season ground beef before cooking or after the meat is browned. Let’s discuss how seasonings affect ground beef and why we use them in the dishes we do.
How to Cook and Brown Ground BeefThis recipe is for 1 pound of ground beef and is ready in 8 to 10 minutes. For larger amounts of meat, use a large skillet or brown the meat in batches.
- 1 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper, to season the beef once cooked
Editors Tip: If using very lean ground beef or a stainless steel skillet prone to sticking, add a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil to the pan before adding the beef.
Tools You’ll Need[embed_section][embed-content imageid=”1678245″ title=”Medium Skillet” buybutton=”Shop Now” linkurl=”https://shop.tasteofhome.com/collections/exclusives/products/2-piece-non-stick-aluminum-skillet-set?utm_source=TOH.com&utm_medium=shoplink&utm_campaign=cookware_content&sourcekeyc=1A1Y7ZZXSC&sourcekeys=1ATZCZU48S&sourcekeym=IX7QDU13M” newtab=”true” /][embed-content imageid=”1678244″ title=”Wooden Spoon” buybutton=”Shop Now” linkurl=”https://tasteofhome.urlgeni.us/https://www.amazon.com/FAAY-Spatula-Cooking-Handcrafted-Healthy/dp/B07Z7SZC5Y/” newtab=”true” product_name=”FAAY 18″ Teak Large Wooden Spoon Spatula, Heavy Duty Cajun Stir Paddle for Cooking in Big Pot, Handcrafted from Healthy – High Moist Resistance Wood for Crab Crawfish Seafood Boil, Gumbo Pot.” product_price=”159″ product_category=”Kitchen” product_retailer=”FAAY HAUS” content_rating=”” /][embed-content imageid=”1678243″ title=”Grease Strainer” buybutton=”Shop Now” linkurl=”https://tasteofhome.urlgeni.us/https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Greasy-Plastic-Strainer-Colander/dp/B079C6VXL2″ newtab=”true” product_name=”Green Easy Greasy Plastic Strainer with Handle – 3 Pc Colander Set – Ground Beef Grease Strainer (Green)” product_price=”24.85″ product_category=”Kitchen” product_retailer=”Cellar_Door_Books (Zentra LLC)” content_rating=”” /][/embed_section]
- A skillet made of stainless steel, cast iron, or nonstick is essential. Look for a good-quality pan that distributes heat evenly.
- During cooking, a sturdy wooden spoon or spatula, such as this one, is ideal for breaking up the ground meat.
- This gadget helps to easily drain grease from the pan. A colander will also do the trick.
Step 1: Heat your skilletSet a medium- to large-sized skillet on a burner set to medium-high heat. Allow the pan to get hot.
Step 3: Allow the beef to cook
Step 4: Break up and move beef around
Step 5: Drain the grease
Tips for Cooking with Ground Beef
- Refrigerator method: Take the ground beef package out of the freezer, place it in a bowl or zip-top bag, and store it in the refrigerator for 24 hours before cooking. By the time you’re ready to cook, your beef should be fully defrosted.
- Method using water: If you only have a few hours, seal your frozen ground beef package in a zip-top bag by pressing out as much air as you can. After that, put the bag into a bowl of ice water and wait an hour for the meat to defrost. To keep the water cold, you should replace it after 30 minutes.
- Method using a microwave: Put the frozen ground beef on a plate that can be used in a microwave. Turn the beef over after each 20 to 30 seconds of microwaving it on the defrost setting in the microwave. The meat should defrost in approximately 5 minutes. Note: As the beef begins to defrost, the edges may begin to cook. As long as you immediately finish cooking the ground beef, this is acceptable.
Cook the Meat EvenlyDon’t drop that brick of ground beef straight into the pan! To cook the meat evenly and prevent steaming, break up the meat before it goes into the pan. Tear the meat into chunks by hand or with a wooden spoon and add these to the hot skillet in a single layer.
Drain the rest of the grease into a heat-proof container. Once it solidifies, scrape it into your trash. (Grease may be accepted by some municipal composting programs; however, do not add it to your backyard compost. ).
Season the Ground BeefWhen it comes to seasoning your ground beef, wait until after it has been browned and drained. Adding salt to raw ground beef pulls out moisture, drying the meat out and creating steam while it cooks, which prevents it from browning properly. The same goes for other seasonings, but for a different reason. Much of the herbs and spices will drain away along with the grease, leaving your ground beef underseasoned.Once your ground beef has been cooked and drained, it can be seasoned with almost anything. Salt and pepper are the basics and could be paired with a
When one TikTok user uploaded a video of cooked ground beef being poured into a strainer and rinsed under the faucet, all of the grease washed off the meat and down the drain, nearly crashing the internet. (The video has since been taken down, but you can still see it in the original post’s duet with @simplyfoodbytys. (The user claimed to have learned this method in a nutrition class, but you should never rinse browned ground beef. First off, never pour grease or fats down the sink drain. (Its one of the things.
How to Cook Frozen Ground BeefWhile defrosted ground beef will have the best flavor and texture, you can cook ground beef from frozen. Here’s how:
- Heat your skillet as directed above.
- Turn the frozen ground beef brick in the hot skillet several times, removing the outer layers as the meat browns through.
- Continue until all of the beef is cooked.
Browning your ground beef this way should really be a last resort; its more time-consuming and all that handling will result in beef thats tough and unevenly cooked. Those in a time pinch will love these
How To Cook Ground Beef
When cooking ground beef when do you season it?
When it comes to seasoning your ground beef, hold off until it has been browned and drained. Raw ground beef that has been salted loses moisture, dries out, and produces steam while cooking, which prevents the meat from properly browning.
Do you season beef before or after?
Meat is always best when seasoned before cooking. Before putting the cuts of meat into the smoker or frying pan, spend a few minutes seasoning them. The best method is this because it allows the flavors to develop while cooking.
How do you make ground beef taste good?
Onions, garlic, salt, and pepper are some flavorings that you can add to ground beef. Additionally, adding green onions as a garnish enhances the flavor.
How to season beef for cooking?
Salt the meat on all sides from a distance of at least 12 inches. If you’re into precise measurements, you can use about 1 teaspoon of kosher salt per pound of meat, but what you want is an even, single layer of salt. Grind fresh black pepper onto your steak, roast or chops.