Best Grilled Beef Tenderloin Recipe
Because it is so delicious, my family calls this recipe Million Dollar Beef Tenderloin. Just follow my instructions, and you will fall in love with this dish. It comes together quickly and melts in your mouth with each bite.
When we have guests, I love making this dish because it allows me to prepare everything beforehand and spend time with them.
Beef Tenderloin Recipes FAQs
Beef tenderloin and filet mignon are both terms for the same cut of beef, but filet mignon refers to steaks that are taken from the whole beef tenderloin.
You will never have tasted a beef cut more tender than this. The tenderloin sits under the ribs, next to the backbone. One of the priciest cuts of beef is beef tenderloin, but in my opinion it is well worth the price.
Beef Tenderloin on the Grill Recipe Ingredients
- Whole Beef tenderloin
- Garlic powder
- Sea salt
How to Grill Beef Tenderloin
- Let the beef tenderloin sit out of the refrigerator for 30 to 1 hour before cooking to bring it to room temperature. Once ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, combine the herbs rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper. Season the beef on both sides, coating it thoroughly with the seasoning. The night before, chill the tenderloin in the refrigerator for an extra-strong flavor.
- Grill for 30 minutes with the lid closed. Check often with a meat thermometer. Grill beef tenderloin until it reaches an internal temperature of 135°F for medium-rare or 145°F for medium.
- Let the beef rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve, and enjoy!.
Best Beef Recipes Tips
- Never grill beef until it has reached room temperature. It will cook more evenly throughout this way.
- Use a meat thermometer for best results.
- Prior to slicing your beef, let it rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Use sea salt instead of table salt for best results. Because sea salt is flakier, it will produce a gorgeous crust on your grilled beef tenderloin.
- Dont forget, Garlic Butter makes everything better!
- Use one of my sauces for beef tenderloin with this dish!
To determine the ideal temperature for your beef, refer to our chart of beef tenderloin temperatures. When grilling, use a meat thermometer to determine when to remove it from the heat.
Beef tenderloin should be trimmed of extra fat and the silver skin removed before grilling. Ask your butcher to do this for you, or simply follow our instructions to do it yourself at home!
- Lay your tenderloin flat and use a knife to make a precise cut just beneath the silver skin. Keep the blade near the meat without removing an excessive amount of the actual meat. Cut away from yourself.
- For a clean cut, pull the tissue firmly against the blade with your free hand. Cut through the tissue until you trim it off completely. Do the same with any substantial white areas on the beef, which are extra fat.
Equipment for Grilling Beef Tenderloin
- Grill and tongs
- Meat thermometer for best results
- Cutting board and carving knife
- Small bowl to mix seasoning blend
When grilling beef, we always advise using a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. Knowing when your tenderloin is prepared to be removed from the grill will be simple thanks to this!
Follow my guide on the Best Cuts of Beef and our Most Popular Beef Dishes to sample more of the best beef cuts that suit your needs and budget!
Best Beef Tenderloin Recipes
If you tried this recipe, please let us know what you thought by leaving a comment and a rating below.
Grilled Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- 3 lb. beef tenderloin roast
- 1 Tbsp. rosemary
- 1 Tbsp. thyme
- 2 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
Check out our Beef Temperature Chart for useful advice on how to cook any beef cut!
- Bring a 3 lb. Allowing the beef tenderloin to come to room temperature by leaving it out of the fridge for 30 to 1 hour before cooking Once ready to cook, preheat grill to medium-high heat. Mix 1 Tbsp. rosemary, 1 Tbsp. thyme, 2 Tbsp. garlic powder, 2 tsp. sea salt, and 2 tsp. black pepper in a bowl. Season the beef on both sides, coating it thoroughly with the seasoning.
- Grill for 30 minutes with the lid closed. Check often with a meat thermometer. Grill beef until it reaches an internal temperature of 135°F for medium rare or 145°F for medium.
- Let the beef rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Serve, and enjoy! .
How to Grill Beef Tenderloin Roast Perfectly
How many minutes per pound to grill beef tenderloin?
With a low temperature, allow for 15 to 20 minutes per pound of meat, plus an additional 15 minutes for resting. When the tenderloin reaches an internal temperature of 125 degrees Fahrenheit, remove it.
What is the best temperature to grill beef tenderloin?
Filets should be grilled over medium-high heat (see What Grill Temp Should I Use?). On a gas grill, you should ideally raise the temperature to about 450 degrees, or on a charcoal grill, place your filets directly over medium-hot coals.
How long does it take to cook a beef tenderloin?
Roast meats weighing 2 to 3 pounds for 35 to 40 minutes at 425 °F for medium-rare (135 °F) and 45 to 50 minutes for medium-doneness (150 °F). For medium-rare (135°F) and medium (150°F) tenderloin roasts weighing 4 to 5 pounds, roast at 425°F for 50 to 60 minutes each.